Winter weather often creates slippery sidewalks and low temperatures, which can lead to sickness and falls. Be prepared! Learn how to keep safe, while enjoying the crisp, cool air, with a few tips from our nurses.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a scarf to protect your lungs from cold air.
- Go inside if you feel weak, numb, tired, or have trouble breathing. This could be a sign of hypothermia.
- Avoid placing warming packs in gloves and boots. These can cause unexpected burns.
- Wear non-slip, waterproof boots to keep feet dry and prevent slips.
- If you use a cane, replace the rubber tip before it is worn smooth.